Pages

Tuesday 25 December 2018

SUMMER LEARNING JOURNEY: Flora and Fauna 🌺

Merry Christmas! Have an amazing time with your loved ones and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ <3

WEEK 2, DAY 2: FABULOUS FLORA!

Activity One: Weaving a Tall Tale
(Here's a link to the video I watched. It's so satisfying!)

































Activity Two: Mighty Mangroves!
Here in New Zealand we have a native tree called a Kiwi Mangrove. Kiwi Mangroves grow in shallow water (harbours). The largest mangrove or manawa forests in New Zealand are located in Northland and in Auckland. According to many environmental experts, they are one of the toughest and strongest trees in the world because they can survive in really harsh (difficult) conditions.

For this activity you are asked to think of someone who is very tough and strong. They can be someone who you know personally or they can be a character that you have read about in a book, seen in a movie, or on a television show.

On your blog, tell us about this person. Who are they? Why are they, in your opinion, so strong and tough?

The person I have selected is 'Spaceboy' from the comic series The Umbrella Academy by Gerard Way. 

I chose Spaceboy because... even from a very young age, he possesses super-strength and superhuman abilities. Furthermore, his strength is only increased when his body is replaced with that of an extra-terrestrial gorilla's. This gorilla-human hybrid is incredibly tough and withstanding, and can withstand the vacuum and cold temperature of space (hence the name). 

This is why Spaceboy soon chooses to live on the moon alongside his soon-to-be-discovered twin brother and The Rumor, whom he has an incestuous infatuation with. From this we can definitely determine that Spaceboy is extremely tough and powerful... especially for a gorilla-human hybrid. 

P.S: Definitely read The Umbrella Academy. Or at least watch it on Netflix after it comes out. 


Activity 3: Stranger than Fiction

Here on earth there are more than 298 000 different kinds (species) of plants. Some of these plants live on land and some live in the water. Follow this link to read about 10 of the strangest plant species in the world. When you are finished, choose two of the plants from the list.

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Jaime,

    My name is Rachel and I am working with the Summer Learning Journey team this year. I have heard wonderful things about your work from Mikey, Susie, Emma and Laura. It sounds like you have been really busy this summer creating great blog posts!

    I definitely enjoyed reading today's posts about weird and wonderful plants, The Umbrella Academy and flax weaving. Like you, I would to try flax weaving and would try my best to make it work. I know that things like this are often more difficult in real life than they first appear but I would certainly try hard to get it right!

    If I had the chance I would love to weave a basket out of flax. What would you choose to weave if you had the opportunity to try it?

    I hope that you get the chance to try your hand at flax weaving one day. If you do, please take a picture or a video and share it with us on your blog. We'd love to see how it all goes!

    Wishing you and your family a lovely holiday season and a great start to 2019.

    Warm regards,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel
    It's wonderful to know that my blog is being talked about in such a positive way! Going into this I didn't know what to expect or if I'd do a good job at it, but it's really encouraging to hear this great feedback I've been receiving.
    In response to your question, I'd definitely like to weave a thoughtful gift to a member of my family, perhaps a heart. But I would also like to try my hand at something more intricate like a rose. I definitely would document my experience on my blog as I write practically everything down whether it's in a journal or a blog post at school.
    Happy 2019!
    - Jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaime,

      I really like the idea of weaving a heart or a rose. Those are really thoughtful gift ideas!

      Happy 2019 to you too!

      Warm regards,
      Rachel

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas Jaime! I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday!

    I'm enjoying reading your blog!

    From Laura (Summer Learning Journey team)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.