Pages

Wednesday 26 December 2018

SUMMER LEARNING JOURNEY: First You ‘Sea’ Me, Now You Don’t πŸ’¦

Selamat Pagi! Welcome to the second week of the Summer Learning Journey for 2018. I've just arrived in Greymouth and spent the day at the Devil's Punch hole, a historic bath site in Kumara and visited a cave near Castle Hill. I hope you enjoy reading my blog!

Activity 1: Night Owls
Image source: Wiktionary
Here in New Zealand we have many amazing and unique sea creatures, including penguins. The blue penguin, or kororā, is particularly special because it is the smallest penguin in the entire world! Blue penguins are typically found on the east coast of the South Island in places like Oamaru but they can be hard to spot as they rarely leave the water. If they do come onto land it is usually at night, when most of us are sound asleep! That’s because they are nocturnal. Not all of us, however, sleep all night. In fact, some people love to stay awake late into the evening. People who like to stay up late are called ‘night owls.’ Are you a night owl or are you an early riser, like me? I typically wake up every day around 6:00 a.m. and jump out of bed, ready to start the day! On your blog, tell us whether you are a night owl or an early riser. Then, tell us about the rest of your family. Are they the same as you? .
I would be lying through my teeth if I said that I was an early riser! I am a total night owl. My routine goes like this: stay up until around 5 and then go back to sleep for another 6 hours. This summer, I made it one of my goals to improve my sleep schedule and I have to say I'm seeing a difference.
As for my family, my Mum is the same as me, a night owl. She often stays up working late or watching television at night which she enjoys. My older sister De-Arna is also a night owl despite her going to University and working most days. However, this doesn't exactly run in the family: my Dad, step-brother, and younger sister are all early risers. My sister, in particular, wakes up at 7:30 even on the weekends. My Dad insists on taking us to the Farmer's Market every Sunday morning. And my step-brother is so loud when he gets up in the mornings, he wakes us at 6.

Activity 2: A Local Delicacy
I chose to find the recipe for an iconic Balinese food, Lawar, because I'm leaving for Indonesia in 13 days and I want to learn more about their dishes before I visit. It's one of my goals to get out of my comfort zone and try new foods that I can hopefully recreate at home. Did you know that because the religion in Bali is predominantly Hindu, most Balinese dishes do not contain beef?




ACTIVITY THREE
I used simple multiplication and division for this maths problem, but there are many other ways to work it out!


3 comments:

  1. Morena Jamie,

    Another fabulous post! :)

    Where abouts in Indonesia are you going?
    I have been to Bali and we stayed in Seminyak and we also went to Gili Trawangan, an island just off the coast of Bali. It was amazing there, a real culture shock on the mainland however the islands were absolutely beautiful. The water was crystal clear and we went snorkelling with turtles!

    Until next time, happy blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma,
      I'm actually staying in Seminyak too! Sounds like you had a great time, especially the snorkelling with turtles - I love turtles myself but I've never actually swam with one... yet.

      -Jaime :)

      Delete
  2. Morena Jaime,

    I hope you had an amazing time in Bali, have you returned to New Zealand yet? What was your favourite thing you did in Bali? Did you see a turtle?

    Emma :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.