Pages

Tuesday 11 December 2018

SAVE ME FROM MYSELF 🕇 (a book review)

Within 244 pages, Brian "Head" Welch documents the lows and highs (literally) of his career as the former lead guitarist of the metal band, Korn. His emotional roller coaster of an autobiography describes how he founded one of the biggest bands in the world, what the height of Korn's fame was like for them, and how he came to be a devoted Christian. 


I was recommended this autobiography by Mr Aitken, and I took up the opportunity to read it because I've heard a lot of Korn's songs, and have actually attempted to draw Jonathan Davis, the lead singer, a few times. Just seeing the cover, reviews and summary had me interested in it, and once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. Brian Welch had such a captivating way of writing it despite never having written a book before. The book was tragic, especially when he talks about having to give away his first-born child, and when he did finally have another child, he barely spent time with her because of his drug addiction. The book gave me an insight into how devastating it is for not only the drug addict, but the people around him: in this case, Brian's daughter, Jennea. It broke my heart to have to read about Brian getting sober only for him to relapse, to become so violent he'd scare himself; only for my faith to be restored when Brian found the love and nurturing of God and allowed him into his heart. Reading what it was like for Welch to be baptised in the Jordan River (interesting fact: this was where Jesus was baptised) was my favourite part for me, personally (and also my Mum, who has strong connections to Buddhism and has even booked for a spiritual healing in Indonesia). 

Welch being baptised in the Jordan River (2005)
I would recommend this book to a large array of people of all ages: anyone who is interested in autobiographies, the band Korn itself, religion, or even if you aren't religious, in fact. I'm not religious myself but I still really enjoyed this book. It gave me a chance to see what life is like through the eyes of a Christian. It really is a great book, and I will definitely pick up a copy for myself if I ever get the chance to just to read it again and again. 

P.S: Brian also talks about how God inspires his songwriting. I had a listen to it and it's really good if you like metal: even better if you are a Christian metal fan. Here's a link to my favourite song by him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_2-Dn_xIc8

P.P.S: It's the last day of school tomorrow. This will be my last English blog post for the year, isn't that crazy? I'm posting something special tomorrow and I'm doing the Summer Learning Journey so I'm still going to blog all of Summer, don't worry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.