Pages

Friday 2 November 2018

THE THEME OF DRAGONHEART

The themes are important ideas the film makes us think about.
Some example themes from Dragonheart:
  • Good vs. evil
  • Rediscovering one's faith
  • Courage and honour
Some themes I noticed:
  • Sacrifice
  • Justice
  • Adventure
TASK: Explore each theme by Quote Hunting. Find quotes from characters in the film and explain why they are important in explaining each theme. Present these in a creative way. 


"You've seen that it is! Through the heart we share each other's pains and power, but in my half beats the life source. For Einon to die, I must die!" - Draco
"You will never win until Einon's evil is destroyed, and to do that you must destroy me!" - Draco
These two quotes by Draco portray the theme of sacrifice in the film Dragonheart. It means that for Einon to die, Draco must sacrifice himself to Dragon's heaven, since they share a heart.

"I am a knight of the Old Code. My word is my bond." -Bowen
I believe this quote said by Bowen portrays the theme of courage and honour because he is obviously very proud of what his title as a knight. 

"What now, Draco? Without you, what do we do? Where do we turn?" -Bowen
"Long ago, when man was young and the dragon already old, the wisest of our race took pity on man. He gathered together all the dragons, making them vow to watch over man, always. And at the moment of his death, the night became alive with those stars. [points towards the constellation Draco] And thus was born the Dragons' Heaven. But when we die, not all dragons are admitted to this shining place. No, we have to earn it. And if we don't, our spirit disappears as if we never were. And that's why I shared my life force with a dying boy - so I would reunite man and dragon, and ensure my place among my ancient brothers of the sky. But... my sacrifice became my sin." - Draco
These heart-wrenching quotes portray the theme of sacrifice in the film. It is what is said by Bowen after he reluctantly slays Draco, therefore sacrificing him, and Draco's speech. 

"I've always said death is a release, not a punishment!" -King Einon
Next time stab more flesh. Less cloth." - King Einon
Immediately when Einon said these in the film, I thought to myself, 'Evil.' These are good examples in demonstrating the theme of good vs. evil as Einon is undoubtedly sounding very evil and wicked through these quotes.

"I wanted to correct a mistake made years ago, when I saved a creature not worth saving."-Queen Aislinn
This quote is one of my favourites from the film - in my eyes I see this as a portrayal of the theme 'rediscovering ones faith'. Queen Aislinn is in fact discovering her own faith, the faith to kill her own son.

"All my life I've dreamed of serving noble kings, noble ideals. Dreams die hard and you hold them in your hands long after they've turned to dust. I will not be that naive again."-Bowen
I believe this quote represents the theme of rediscovering ones faith as it is said after he regains faith in the Old Code. 

This quote was actually not said by any of the characters in Dragonheart. It's actually a quote from the Old Code. I think this quote relates to both rediscovering ones faith (it is the faith Bowen finally finds belief for) and courage and honour because Bowen is very proud of the Old Code. 

https://www.canva.com/design/DADHx7SiNbg/tyaPS5f5exW_FAMDMnli7g/view?utm_content=DADHx7SiNbg&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=sharebutton

Above is a link to a Canva I made to display the quotes in a creative way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.