Pages

Monday 28 May 2018

MAKING A MU TORERE BOARD 🎯

This term we have been working towards the completion of some small projects made out of wood.


A diagram of what
the board looks like.
Our first project was making a Mu Torere board, an adaption of a Maori board game. 

The wooden board was shaped in a circle, which we used the bandsaw to cut out. 

Next we measured and marked out where all the peg holes had to be; there had to be nine of them and were to be evenly spaced around the board.

Using a drill we drilled the holes, ensuring we didn't drill it all the way through and provided space for a peg to fit into. 

The next thing we did is measure some wooden dowels into small pieces about 5 cm in length. 

Since the dowels were too thick to fit into the holes we drilled, we used sandpaper to sand them down to the correct size. 
That was where the board finished, but I used twink and a vivid to add some embellishments to my board. I used twink to make four pegs white and vivid to make four pegs black. 

My board was a little messed up because I rushed it to make it in one lesson. There is an extra hole and the pegs are not evenly spaced. Next time I will use a ruler to get more even holes and ensure I measure it accurately prior to drilling.

To learn how to play this Maori board game, which I find to be really fun, search up 'Mu Torere' on the app store. It's free, but it takes some getting used to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.