Pages

Wednesday 21 August 2019

A comprehensive review of trigonometry

1. What are some of the mathematical concepts we have looked at or worked on in class?
I opted to study trigonometry in maths, so a small group of us have looked at Pythagoras theorem and the concept of SAH, CAH, and TOA in trig. I didn't have any experience with any of these concepts when I first started but I've definitely improved a lot. I'm really enjoyed trigonometry so far as it kind of (emphasis on kind of) relates to algebra which is one concept of mathematics that I really, really like and am relatively good at. 

What questions do you still have about trig? 
Honestly the question I want answered is how can I get better. I really enjoy some aspects of maths and want to continue into vocational or enterprise maths in NCEA next year, plus trig is pretty useful to know if I want to be successful in this subject. I'm confident in everything we've learned so far through the worksheets we've been given as well as the independent study time we're given. 

3. Describe a mistake or misconception you or a classmate had in class. What did you learn from this mistake?
One mistake I made was with the calculator, I had no idea how to make the cos/sin/tan with the little exponent come up (turns out it's shift + cos,sin,or tan) but I asked for help and learned from it. Any other mistakes I made, I googled and got some pretty good answers but asking Mr Werder for help gave me a lot more specific help for a certain equation.

4. What new vocab words were introduced?
Sin, cos, tan were always words I saw on my calculator but I never knew the meaning of, now I know what they mean and can use them in my work confidently. Pythagoras theorem was new to me too, as for trig I recognised the word but didn't know what work it covered. So, I've learned a lot of new words so far. 


PSA
The following resources helped me enormously with my work in trig. I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about the use of SAH, CAH, and TOA. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2umc214GSkY&t=322s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx_7PckdjxA

1 comment:

  1. This is a really good post Jamie. I like the detail you went into and the fact that you have thought about your pathway.
    I think to get better at Trigonometry would depend on where you are up to. to start with you would practicing simple problems, after that it is looking for it in different types of questions that might require multiple steps or more non - routine thinking. - that is my opinion anyway.
    And I am pleased that you are enjoying trig. I also enjoy trig.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.