Pages

Wednesday 18 September 2019

Home economics: cultural unit recap 🍒

This term we have been working on our cultural unit where we explored the preparation, cooking methods and equipment of different meals from different cultures such as Japan, Greece, NZ and Thailand. 

During this term I not only learned how to manage my time, equipment and food portions efficiently, I now know how to cook foods from different cultures. 

My favourite dish we made was the Pad Thai which originated in Thailand but made its way to New Zealand through immigration and is now found commonly in New Zealand as we have such a diverse population. The Pad Thai ingredients could be altered to suit our individual tastes. I like my food sweet with some kick which we were able to achieve. Pad Thai, by the way, is noodles with some sort of protein, with a really flavorful sauce. 

The skills were helpful to learn because as time progresses, more people migrate to New Zealand and bring their delicious food with them. Last century, meat and 3 veg was the common way of eating meals whereas nowadays we have a better selection and diverse range of foods to choose from, and learning to cook these foods are really helpful. 

Working with other people in a group has been a good learning experience. I didn't know some of the people in my team that well but we worked together and were proud of how all of our dishes came out. We were definitely good at finishing on time. 

Overall I really enjoyed this cultural unit. I will definitely use these skills in the future, in fact I've already cooked sushi from Japan for my family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.