Pages

Monday 31 July 2017

A Story On Bullying


Task: 
By Period 4 on Monday, write a paragraph on your blog to tell a story about bullying that really made you stop and think. 

Across the globe, 77 percent of students have been bullied. Whether it was verbally, online, or physically, the internet is full of the tragic stories written by these victims, or, in the worst scenario, their grieving-families. Here is the very tragic story of one of the most infamous bullying incidents of all time.

Amanda Todd: Her Story.
The most infamous bullying story was a viral YouTube video, posted back in September 2012, by a fifteen-year-old girl named Amanda Todd. In Amanda's case, she was sexually exploited online, by a man who blackmailed her into doing disgusting things on camera. If she refused, the man would post revealing pictures of Amanda. However, Amanda refused, and the picture was shared. 
The exploitation of Amanda Todd lead the young girl into a spiralling depression. This lead to her parents moving their daughter to another school, in another city. However, putting the bullying to a stop was unsuccessful, as the man continued to stalk Amanda. She was horrifically cyberbullied. A fake Facebook account under the name of Amanda Todd was sharing revealing photos of her. 
Amanda was shifted to a second school, but things remained the same. Female students tracked Amanda down, and horrifically, Amanda was beaten up by a group of them, in a ditch. This had terrifying consequences. 
Amanda's father rescued her, bringing her home. That night would be traumatic for the parents of Amanda Todd, as the girl attempted suicide by drinking bleach. Miraculously, Amanda survived this incident. 
In her video, the fifteen year old admitted tragic things, quoting this:

I’m struggling to stay in this world, because everything just touches me so deeply. I’m not doing this for attention. I’m doing this to be an inspiration and to show that I can be strong. I did things to myself to make pain go away, because I’d rather hurt myself then someone else. Haters are haters but please don’t hate, although I’m sure I’ll get them. I hope I can show you guys that everyone has a story, and everyones future will be bright one day, you just gotta pull through. I’m still here aren’t I?

Amanda Todd would last for only another month. Her life tragically ended in October 2012, after months of cyber, verbal, and physically bullying. This was an extreme case of bullying, but this video was an example of just one case. Bullying occurs all around the world, everyday. You may never know what's going on with someone. But by the time Amanda shared her story, and communicated her problems, it was too late.
This story really reminded me to talk to someone about my problems. This case could have been prevented if Amanda had done this. Whether it's a support group, or just your parents, it doesn't hurt to talk to someone about your feelings. Help this world become a better place and stop bullying. 

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.