Pages

Tuesday 28 July 2020

Term 3, Week 2 L1 Portfolio update

I am working towards completing my art portfolio, my kaupapa is 'nightmares' - some of it will be based off my own nightmares, some will be based off of fears people might have. I am aiming to include watercolour, pastels, pencil and charcoal on my portfolio.


A quick sketch of what I want a possible future piece to look like, I based this off of the 'evolutionary' photos I've seen sometimes, of the different stages of human evolution. The sketch depicts a woman through four stages-  kind of like how a night turns from fun and fooling around to regretting the whole thing, feeling sad and lonely as she lies by herself. I want the sketch to show a woman through the stages of a night, the final piece will likely not be as provocative and I want to include both wet and dry media - charcoal and pencil, as well as including some red watercolour paint. 'Girls on Film' just so happened to be the song that I was listening to when sketching it. 






Probably the closest piece to finishing and a piece I'm proud of, this is based off a recurring nightmare I've had for maybe the past two years. The body was rotting and had the most terrifying eyes, I can only describe them as round doll's eyes that had sunken into melting flesh, with tiny pupils. I used several references to create this, and to finish it I'm going to fill in some of the areas with grey watercolour. The finished work will be 4x4 so I'm going to cut it down to size at the end. 






This piece is nowhere near finished, but the claw-looking hands are meant to represent ribs that are pulling the woman back and down, her facial expression is terrified and is surrounded by flowers, mushrooms, etc - to represent how some people think that ED's are 'sunshine and rainbows, easy to come out of' - that some people want EDs and promote them, yet they're actually very real, terrifying parts of a lot of people's lives. This piece will include watercolour, especially for the flowers and mushrooms, but I still want it the colours to look soft and light as opposed to really bright and vibrant. 











This is another sketch I did, although this probably won't make the portfolio because it has nothing to do with nightmares, I was just working on drawing hands from reference and it turned out okay. 



A horrible little sketch I was working on, I'm only showing this because the combination of dark, blacked out space, some white, and red highlights is what I want the portfolio to look like - red's gonna be a prominent colour on the board as people associate the colour with horror, nightmares, blood, etc. 

My next steps are to continue cranking out proper art and not just sketching random things, to work on the layout of my board and stick the first two nearly-finished pieces onto it, after I finish them of course. 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.