Pages

Friday 16 February 2018

Ever wondered what happens backstage in musicals?

What am I learning to do?

I am learning the process of what happens backstage in musical and theatre productions, in the lead up to the class musical production at the end of the term.

What learning process am I using?

I am using MindMup, which allows people to create concept maps to plan, create and share their ideas. I like this platform as it allows my planning to flow and ideas to expand easily. 

I am also using Padlet, which I like less because I feel like there is no original ideas as we can all see each others and can take from it. 

Musical One: Dear Evan Hanson. 

First performed in July 2015, at the Arena Stage in Washington D.C. 
The musical is based on antagonist Evan Hansen, who is a senior in high school and suffers from social anxiety. A classmate of Evan's unfortunately dies, but it is a lie he creates that leads him to becoming closer to his classmate's family and start to get better on his social anxiety. 
If I was involved in this show I think I would be stage or lights. I do not like this musical as I think the theme of mental illness is not suited for any musical at all. 

Musical Two: The Greatest Showman

First premiered on December 7th, 2017.
The drama/romance film, based on the Barnum and Bailey Circus running from 1871 to May 2017, tells the story of an ambitious showman, P.T Barnum. After being fired from his job as a a bank teller, Barnum decided to take out a risky loan to buy a museum. The sales for his new attraction museum in Manhattan are slow, so eventually he searches for "freaks" to star in a circus show at the museum. The show is a success but the circus is soon burned down by protesters, causing Barnum to have to rebuild the circus into major success...
If I was involved in this musical I would have played Barnum, as I relate to him well. I have big dreams and would do anything for success, so I feel as if I would portray him well. I have never seen this musical however it does seem interesting and well-written.

Musical Three: Hamilton

First performed in January 2015 at The Public Theatre in New York City.
The musical features singing and rapping about the life of one of America's first presidents, Alexander Hamilton. The musical has been a huge success and is one of the world's most well-known musicals in this day and age.
If I was in this musical I think I would have played Aaron Burr, the man who shot Alexander Hamilton. I have a lot of anger and jealousy so I would be able to portray him well.
I have heard a lot about this musical but there are things I would change. I do not particular like the rapping part that much, but I like the story and perspective it portrays.


What worked, what didn't, and what would you change?

What worked is that I was able to follow my instructions quickly and clearly with no need to search on YouTube for any backstage clips. I was also able to plan well and add to my ideas quickly. 
In terms of what didn't work, I think everything went well. However I would change using Padlet to a private document or blog post instead because I don't think there is any point in writing down musicals you know if you can see everyone else's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.