Pages

Monday 8 March 2021

L2Art Week 8 update | Building up my folio board

Second artwork - still life :)
 
First artwork - tree :)


Third artwork - skeleton :)

For the past week I worked on these three paintings, white acrylic on black gesso, to develop my understanding of the technique of negative space for my folio. The first works especially link into my theme of environmental protection and kaupapa of mindfulness. The skeleton is less obviously linked but it still helped a lot with developing a better understanding of highlights, shadow and light sources. 

What is my Kauapa: three key words

Landscapes, fruit, environment

What artists have I looked at so far?

Vincent Van Gogh (so far!)

How does my work show that I considered Negative space?

My work uses negative space because I’ve specifically chosen a “point” where the light source is and used high contrast between light and dark areas, so most of the subject matter is shadowed but you know it’s there because of the highlights. 

What has happened in the making process that led me to new ideas around negative space once the works were made?

This has given me a better understanding of how I can effectively use negative space but still keep a high level of detail. Eg. negative space doesn’t have to be as simple as I thought, and I can generate great art using it. I’ve also learned a lot about light sources, highlights as well as shadows. 

What can I do to go further with my work?

Introducing colour, backgrounds, keeping fruit as a visual symbol throughout my folio board. I also want to start looking at my other artist models, Marilyn Webb and Mimmo Paladino, and generate works that I've incorporated some of their elements into. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.