Pages

Wednesday 16 January 2019

SUMMER IS COMING TO AN END... (final SLJ post!)

Activity 3: Concluding the Journey [10 points]

Sadly, the Summer Learning Journey has now come to an end. It is time to reflect on everything that you have learned about the environment and, particularly, about how you can protect and preserve it.



On your blog please tell us:

What is one thing that you learned from participating in the Summer Learning Journey programme this year?
I learnt a number of different things surrounding a variety of topics throughout the 2018-19 Summer Learning Journey... not only did I learn to make my blog posts more interesting through the use of Digital Learning Objects, and how to attribute images, I learnt all about New Zealand history, its forests, its animals, etc, etc. One example is: I learnt about the tomtit bird - what it looks like, what its call sounds like, their diet, among other things. I also learnt that New Zealand is 30% forest. Oh, and I got to put on my conspiracy theory hat when I learnt about the legend of the Taniwha! Overall I learnt so many cool things that I wouldn't be able to list them all, but I can confidently say that I totally enjoyed all of it. 

What is one thing that surprised you?
One thing that surprised me is... well, all of it! I actually remember saying to my form teacher, "I'm travelling throughout the holidays so I'll be able to blog my experiences!" - thinking that the objective of the Summer Learning Journey was to post as many personal blog posts as possible as your day. Well when I got into it I was very surprised to find that we actually had the opportunity to learn and share our creations with the world like I've always loved to do. I actually enjoyed the idea of learning rather than blogging about my day better than what I anticipated, so that's a plus. 


What is one thing that concerned or upset you?
If you have read some of my blog posts, or participated in the Summer Learning Journey yourself, we learnt about the NZ environment, its animals, etc. It concerned me to learn about the endangered native species of NZ, the natural resources of Earth that humans are depleting, the impact that deforestation has on our country, etc, etc. It made me concerned and upset for our environment, but it also inspired me to look after our environment a lot more.

What is one thing that you (or your family) can do, moving forward, to help protect our natural environment?
My family personally do our part for the environment through the use of eco-food wrap made from beeswax, resin, and Johoba oil, and banning the use of plastic bags (we use reusable bags not only for our groceries but for our fruit and produce we get). My older sister is probably the most protective of our environment out of all of us, she uses a wooden toothbrush (which I'm about to order) runs an environmental Facebook page, and is vegan, among other things. Ever since I got back from Indonesia and I didn't eat much meat I can say that I'm considering cutting out things like chicken and pork from my diet, one, because the way chickens and pigs are kept in cages is horrendous, and having been shown a video of how they're killed was disgusting, but that's another story.

Before we end the Summer Learning Journey I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who's commented on my blog, or even simply viewed it. Although I didn't manage to quite keep up with it as I was travelling for most of the time, I had a really amazing experience and I'm most definitely doing this again if I get the chance. I'm about to go into Year 10 with the best possible mindset I've had in a while. 

Well, I guess this is farewell to all you lovely little bloggers until the Summer Learning Journey 2019 begins! Bye!

15 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Jaime,

    My name is Rachel and I am working with the Summer Learning Journey team this year. Although I have not been directly commenting on your work, I have been told a great deal about the amazing work that you have done by Emma, Mikey, Susie and Laura. I know that they will all be keen to post a comment on your blog and to celebrate your successful completion of the SLJ this year.

    You have set a very high standard with your work and demonstrated clear commitment to the programme and to your own learning. We are going to miss reading your SLJ posts but hope that you will continue to blog over the summer, sharing your general day-to-day activities. We also hope that you will consider posting positive, supportive comments on the blogs of other students who are still making their way through the journey. You can earn two extra points for every quality comment that you post.

    A quality comment is, at least, three sentences long and contains information about what you liked or found interesting in the post.

    Hope to see you online over the next few weeks! The SLJ is open every day until Friday 25 January 2019.

    Warm regards,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rachel,
      Thanks so much for your lovely feedback. I will take your advice into consideration :)
      With thanks,
      Jaime :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Jaime,
    This information about you completing the summer learning journey is astonishing. It is amazing to hear you are helping the environment. This blog post is amazing and needs no change. Keep up the good work!!

    Vitaraag

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Jaime,

    My name is Georgia and I am the Kaikohekohe (Northland) Cluster Manager. Congratulations of completing all 60 activities from the SLJ, what an incredible accomplishment, ka pai.

    I am very impressed with the quality of your writing and the detail. It's wonderful to hear you have learnt lots from this programme. Even as a Cluster Manager, I learnt so many interesting (and sad) facts about the environment and pollution. It is scary to even think about how much of a negative impact humans have had on Earth and our natural resources.

    You and your family sound like you are doing a number of things to try and make a difference on our environment, I hope you are very proud. Every little step in the right direction makes a big difference in the long run. Where did you go in Indonesia?

    I am so happy to read that you will be entering Year 10 with a positive mindset and so glad that the SLJ has helped to get you to that stage. I hope this year is truly awesome for you!

    Again, well done on completing the Summer Learning Journey. I hope you have a wonderful rest of your summer and good luck for Year 10! I am sure you'll be great :-)

    Nga mihi,
    Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Georgia,
      I really appreciate your feedback! As for your question, I visited Bali, or more specifically, Seminyak. It was super warm and humid but it was a great bonding experience for us all... luckily air conditioning helped us out a lot.
      I hope you also have a great summer!
      With thanks,
      Jaime

      Delete
  4. Mōrena Jamie,

    My name is Jordan, and like Emma, I am a Cluster Manager for the Summer Learning Journey programme— I work with the students in Kootuitui (South Auckland, Papakura).
    I just wanted to say congratulations for completing the Summer Learning Journey programme!! I'm so pleased to read that you've learnt a lot from this programme— and that it turned out to be educational and informative, rather than you just having to put up personal posts.

    I'm also impressed that you managed to travel and blog at the same time; I study online and often I choose to travel around while I'm doing it, so I can empathise that it's not the easiest thing to do, but clearly you're quite capable— ka pai, e hoa.

    The matter of our environment is so sad, isn't it? I've been studying a bit about the environment too, through philosophy and anthropology and what I've come across is mind blowing. I've been looking more in to the matter of our behaviour and morals toward our natural environment and how we can advance to obtain an 'environmental ethic'— which is basically an understanding of the natural environment being just as important as we consider mankind to be.

    It's so great that your sister is advocating for the environment and helping you achieve a greater understanding of our position within the natural environment. I know which video you're referring to as well— I watched it and it absolutely broke my heart! It's hard to separate the 'food' from 'innocent creatures' when we buy this meat, already packaged and blood-free. We would doubtful consume at such a rate if it meant that we had to hunt, kill and prepare our own meat.

    Well, it's been a pleasure reading your last blog post— may I just add that your writing ability is exceptional, too! I hope that you enjoy your new year, particularly now as a Year 10 student.
    All the best, Jamie!

    Warm regards,

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Jordan,
      I cannot thank you enough for your lovely feedback: your comment was very informative. I definitely agree that the environment is super important, what you are learning about sounds very interesting! Thank you so much yet again for your kind words :D
      Kind regards,
      Jaime

      Delete
  5. Kia ora Jaime,

    Congratulation on completing this years Summer Learning Journey! I am so incredibly proud of all the time and effort you have put into your posts, even while you were of travelling and having an amazing time I'm sure.

    As mentioned above by Rachel and the other cluster managers, myself, Mikey and Susie could not stop raving about your amazing posts and being so impressed by the effort and creativity put into some of them which was so cool to be able to share.

    I am glad that you learnt so much from the Summer Learning Journey. As Jordan mentioned, it is a bit sad being faced with the reality of what is happening to our environment and the species that inhabit it however being aware means we can do more to change it. It sounds like you've already got some pretty awesome strategies in place like using reusable bags and I think the wooden toothbrush is a fantastic idea!

    Once again, congratulation Jaime, you should be so proud of yourself and all of your hard work. I look forward to coming out and see you and your classmates in February.

    Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma!
      Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to comment on my blog posts over the duration of the SLJ. It means the world to me to be able to share my work with someone and receive such good feedback. I look forward to possibly meeting you when you come out to Hornby!
      Once again thank you so much, I'm definitely so proud of myself especially because this is my first time doing something like this.
      Kind regards,
      Jaime :)

      Delete
  6. Hello Jaime,
    I am Melita and i study in Christ The King School. Congrats on completing the summer learning journey. You have put so much effort into all your posts. Are you sad that the summer learning journey is coming to an end? I am. Maybe next time you can say your feeling on completing the summer learning journey. Keep up the amazing work!

    Blog you later

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jaime,
    I'm Miss Abernethy and I will a teacher at Hornby this year. Awesome work with the SLJ!! I have enjoyed reading about all you have learnt this summer, and how much you liked the biology and science questions- that is what I teach. It sounds like you have done some great work to help the environment, I would love to learn how to make the bees wax wraps!
    The detail you put in to your work is fantastic- Ka pai.

    Miss A :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kia ora Jaime,

    It's so great to see that you've taken your studies outside of the classroom this holidays and continued to learn on your travels! Also great that you were able to learn about New Zealand history - as a history teacher I am quite biased though!

    I would be interested to hear about your conspiracy theory about the legend of the Taniwha - perhaps when we are back at school you could enlighten me!

    See you soon Jaime!
    Mr Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kia Ora Jamie,

    WOW! You made it, This was an excellent finish to the Summer Learning Journey I am super impressed on how much work you have done in total. You are amazing at blogging and I am excited to see more blog posts later on. Congratulations on finishing and I really hope to see more blog posts soon.

    Once again congratulations, keep up the great work and I really hope to see more posts from you soon!

    How long do you think, it took you to post all of these activities?

    Good luck,
    Hinerangi

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.